Any currently approved CCW instructors for Cass County residents will remain a valid instructor without meeting the new requirements of 571.111, Sections 5,6, and 7 as outlined below until December 31st, 2013.
Effective immediately (10-22-13) all new instructor must comply with the new requirements listed below.
Effective January 1st, 2014, all instructors must be approved per the new requirements and as specified by the Cass County Sheriff. Any Instructor who wants to be an approved instructor For Cass County Residents will submit:
- Copy of Training Instructor Certificate;
- Course Lesson Plan (not course outline)bearing notarized signature of instructor;
- Recent Photograph of Instructor; and
- Annual Registration Fee of $10.
On August 28, 2013, RSMo 571.111 was changed in reference to the required course of training and safety instructor requirements.
- 571.111, Section 2 changes the firing exercise from 50(fifty) rounds from each handgun to 20(twenty) rounds from each handgun.
- 571.111, Section 5 requires "notarized certificate" from the Instructor to be submitted to the Sheriff if the instruction was from a governmental agency (non-law enforcement personnel) or course approved by the Department of Public Safety;
- 571.111, Section 6 requires "Any firearms safety instructor qualified under subsection 5 of this section may submit a copy of a training instructor certificate, course outline bearing notarized signature of instructor, and recent photograph of his or herself to the "Sheriff of the county in which he or she resides. Each Sheriff shall collect an annual registration fee of ten dollars from each qualified instructor who chooses to submit such information and shall retain a database of qualified instructors. This information shall be a closed record except for access by any Sheriff."
- 571.111, Section 7 adds that any instructor in "â€¦violation of the provisions of this section shall result in the person being prohibited from instructing concealed carry permit classes and issuing certificates." in addition to being charged with a Class C misdemeanor.
To become an approved CCW training provider you must present the following to the Cass County Sheriffs Office;
- A State issued photo identification card
- A completed Instructor Form
- A copy of your Instructor Certificate as issued by;
- The National Rifle Association
- The Department of Public Safety
- A Local, State, or Federal Government Entity
- A Local, State, or Federal Law Enforcement Agency
- A Law Enforcement Instructor
- A completed copy of your lesson plans that is detailed enough so that a qualified substitute instructor may be able to teach your class. Lesson plan must also meet the following requirements;
- Handgun safety in the classroom, at home, on the firing range and while carrying the firearm
- A physical demonstration performed by the applicant that demonstrated his or her ability to safely load and unload a revolver and a semiautomatic pistol and demonstrated his or her marksmanship with both
- The basic principles of marksmanship
- Care and cleaning of concealable firearms
- Safe storage of firearms at home
- The requirements of this state for obtaining a certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement from the Sheriff of the individual's county of residence
- The laws relating to firearms as prescribed in this chapter
- The laws relating to the justifiable use of force as prescribed in chapter 563, RSMo
- A live firing exercise of sufficient duration for each applicant to fire both a revolver and a semiautomatic pistol, from a standing position or its equivalent, a minimum of twenty rounds from each handgun at a distance of seven yards from a B-27 silhouette target or an equivalent target
- A live fire test administered to the applicant while the instructor was present of twenty rounds from each handgun from a standing position or its equivalent at a distance from a B-27 silhouette target, or an equivalent target, of seven yards